24 March 2010

For the Living of These Days, 6

And so we come to the last of our Lenten hymns. Sunday is Palm Sunday, the beginning of our Easter season services. Jesus' conflicts have been many, and they will only get worse as next week unfolds. He has suffered in many ways throughout his life and ministry; but the greatest suffering is yet to come. He has been despised and rejected by many; he will ultimately be despised and rejected by all. What most of the Church calls "Holy Week" I have learned to call "Passion Week." Because even from the moment of his "triumphal" entry into Jerusalem Jesus suffers - he is in conflict, he is misunderstood, he is abandoned. Ultimately, he is forsaken. All this, and then he goes to the cross and there all this comes upon him at once, and finally.

This is the Savior, who came not to be served, but to serve. This is the high priest who is the sacrifice, and the altar, and the foundation of the temple. We have walked through Lent knowing the full story; in our coming services we "re-live" the story, knowing from this side of the cross how it turns out - yet needing to be reminded again that it was for us. And desiring again to live in loving, joyful, grateful response to that great work.

We end these Lenten hymns with one of the most ancient of Chrisitan hymns still in use:

Lord Jesus, think on me, and purge away my sin;
from earth-born passions set me free, and make me pure within.
    Lord Jesus, think on me, with care and woe oppressed;
    let me thy loving servant be, and taste thy promised rest.
Lord Jesus, think on me, amid the battle's strife;
in all my pain and misery be thou my health and life.
    Lord Jesus, think on me, nor let me go astray;
    through darkness and perplexity point thou the heavenly way.
Lord Jesus, think on me, when flows the tempest high:
When on doth rush the enemy, O Savior, be thou nigh.
    Lord Jesus, think on me, that, when the flood is past,
    I may eternal brightness see, and share thy joy at last.
Greek, Synesius of Cyrene (375-430)
Tr. A. W. Chatfield (1808-96)

In the living of these days,

Sing on!

No comments:

Post a Comment