10 March 2010

For the Living of These Days, 4

It is a season for "heart work." Today's seasonal prayer hymn may not normally be associated with Lent, so I was interested to see it in that section of one of my hymnals. If you associate this text with the robust tune AZMON (O for a thousand tongues to sing) - as it is in Hymns for the Living Church - you may miss the aptness of this text for today. A common meter text, I suppose there are many possible melodic options. The tune BELMONT serves nicely.

O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free;
a heart that always feels thy blood
so freely spilt for me.
   A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
   my dear Redeemer's throne;
   where only Christ is heard to speak,
   where Jesus reigns alone.
A humble, lowly, contrite heart,
believing, true, and clean,
which neither life nor death can part
from him that dwells within.
   A heart in every thought renewed,
   and full of love divine;
   perfect and right and pure and good,
   a copy, Lord, of thine.
My heart, thou know'st, can never rest
till thou create my peace;
till of mine Eden repossest, [sic]
from self, and sin, I cease.
   Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart,
   come quickly from above;
   write thy new name upon my heart,
   thy new best name of love.
Charles Wesley (`1707-88)

I have left the text intact as I found it, with a couple of verses we don't normally see in the hymnals, and with presumably fewer hymnal editors' emendations. I find that taking it out of the context in which we normally sing it has brought fresh meaning to my experience of it.

Sing on!

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading this blog.
    I grew up singing 'O For A Heart' to the tune 'St. Etheldreda' courtesy of the Revised Church Hymnary and the Rejoice Hymnbook, both used by the Presbyterian Church of Australia.
    Gary Ware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Gary! Thanks for the tune recommendation.

    ReplyDelete